Roses For A Pink Lady
Helping the Underprivileged Community
Cancer is one of the top 3 leading causes of death in Malaysia. It is estimated that 1 in 4 Malaysian will develop cancer by age 75. Breast cancer is the leading cancer in women worldwide. In Malaysia approximately 1 in 20 women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime.In this program, we would like to cooperate with Breast Cancer Society Segamat (BCSS), a non Governmental Organization. It is self-help group comprise of breast cancer survivor and family members of breast cancer patients. It was set up to provide an avenue of information, dissemination of news and fact about breast cancer as well as to address the dire need for peer support to women diagnosed with breast cancer.Segamat BCSS patients data: MalayChineseIndianOthersTOTALRegistered139208181366Surviving71152110234Mortality Breakdown685671132
Overview of Issue / Background
Cancer is one of the top 3 leading causes of death in Malaysia. It is estimated that 1 in 4 Malaysian will develop cancer by age 75. Breast cancer is the leading cancer in women worldwide. In Malaysia approximately 1 in 20 women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime.
In this program, we would like to cooperate with Breast Cancer Society Segamat (BCSS), a non Governmental Organization. It is self-help group comprise of breast cancer survivor and family members of breast cancer patients. It was set up to provide an avenue of information, dissemination of news and fact about breast cancer as well as to address the dire need for peer support to women diagnosed with breast cancer.
Segamat BCSS patients data:
Project Objectives (Vision & Mission)
- For Breast Cancer Patient/Survivor
- To enable survivors member to reach out and help another survivor/patients in handling their emotions
- Assistance in procuring non medical aids for breast cancer patient, relief and maintain the well being;
- Provision of psychological support to breast cancer patient during and after treatment to provide relief and maintain the well being;
- Education of members on related areas of women’s health;
- To improve the quality of life among the breast cancer survivor by helping them to be treated with pride and dignity.
- Provide additional resources that support woman’s quality of life after breast cancer treatment;
- Providing a platform for basic skills for proper management system to the commettee members.
- For Local Community (Segamat)
- Increase individual and public awareness on breast cancer deases and health related issues;
- To improve the health of local communities;
- Increase the awareness among public in giving moral and financial support to Breast Cancer Society Support (BCSS) by collecting donation form the society.
- For Students
- To mould leadership, communication, management skills among volunteer students.
- To give first hand experience towards student to enhance their skill in the welfare activity.
Project Details (Activities and Tasks)
Our project will be segmented into three sessions:
- Implementing Operation/ Management system
- Software development
- Online members registrations
- Systematic filing of patient/survivor’s particulars
- Basic Account/ Financial software (fees,Fund & Online Donation)
- Buy Pink!
- Online marketing through Website/Instagram (products made by survivor: smocking & patchwork, clutch, dress, bed sheet, apron, blanket)
- Outdoor adventure Therapy: What A Wonderful World!
“Cancer can rob a person of their trust in their body, confidence in themselves and lower their body image. It’s a two shot combo that attacks the physical and the mental.
The act of facing and overcoming a real challenge served up in nature can restore a lot of that damage.”
-Bead Ludden,Cancer Fighter.
- Focus towards (20) selected underprivileged patient/ survivor who came from the low income family background and have completed active treatment: surgery/ chemotherapy/ taking hormonal medications.
- Physical activities/- recovery fitness
- Aerobic, tai chi, yoga, treasure hunting, bird watching.
- Photography competition
- Stress relief and emotional coping
- talk and sharing session
- Pink October: “positively pink!”
- Helping Awareness Campaign & Fund Raising
- Student involve in running awareness campaign by writing informative articles about breast cancer, displaying creative and informative poster, design an advertisement to be published in web page @ any event to promote awareness and education.
- Online registration for new members by using their new software.
- “We are beautiful & vibrant still!”
- Improving quality of life among breast cancer survivor
- A grooming session
- Physiotherapy technique
Expected Project Result & Outcomes
- Breast cancer survivor (which are also the society members)
- Increase the knowledge and management skills among the members, especially the committee (which is also the breast cancer survivor) in administering the society.
- The patient able to relieve their stress by applying the techniques they had learned in the program.
- The program will helps the survivor celebrating their life, including increase their self esteem, sense of inner beauty and worth. Make them feel attractive and confident.
- Launching the “Buy Pink!” Online project is another additional way in raising their fund.
- What A Wonderful World project - The adventure therapy program like outdoor activities can help cancer patients cope with the psychological and social effect of cancer. Studies suggest that challenging people with activities in nature can improve their psychological states and perceptions of themselves.
- Segamat community
- Give a clear picture among the community about healthy lifestyle to prevent the occurrence of cancer diseases.
- Create a dynamic support and network between the community and the breast cancer patients.
- Enhance students’ creative potentials, leadership skills and self confidence.
- The student will be empowered to develop their personality and professionalism to make them more aware of their responsibility towards the community. This empowerment will later give an effect where more powerful impact can be made in the long term.
0% of RM1.00 Goal
|University name||:||Universiti Teknologi Mara (UiTM) Cawangan Johor, Kampus Segamat|
|Project leader name||:||Syazwani Binti Hanafi|
Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women worldwide. In Malaysia approximately 1 in 20 women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime (Source: Malaysia National Cancer Registry). Roses for a pink lady is a voluntary project with a mission to provide an avenue of information, dissemination of news and fact about breast cancer as well as to address the dire need for peer support to women diagnosed with breast cancer. This project has collaborated with Breast Cancer Support Society (BCSS) Segamat, a self-help group comprise of breast cancer survivor, their family members and volunteers.
The efforts that we have undertaken in rising additional funds for this project are selling foods and product made by the cancer survivors such as smoking and patchwork, clutch, bed sheet and apron. Besides, we also received certain amount of donation from some generous donors while campaigns were held.
HOW OUR PROJECT IS ACTUALLY WORKED
Our project were segmented into two major sessions:
Project 1 : PINK OCTOBER AWARENESS CAMPAIGN
Date : 13th October 2018
Vanue : Dewan Serbaguna Pekan Jabi Segamat Johor
Time : 7.30am - 11.00pm
Theme : “Wellness and Fitness”
In conjunction with the Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, we had involved in running awareness campaign by writing informative articles about breast cancer, displaying creative and innovative posters, designed and distributed fliers and brochures to promote awareness and education
Early morning on the 13 th October 2018, focused on local community, we had worked closely with Segamat Breast Cancer Support Society to organize some activities such as general health screening, spread the vital information on memmogram health services, treatment and group support. This project was also reinforced the message of early detection and importance of practicing good breast health. This first session of awareness campaign ended at 1pm.
Second session of the awareness campaign started at 7.30pm. Many performance focusing on fitness such as aerobic, Zumba, Line dance and, Tai Chi performed by various clubs and societies from Segamat. To support, Our group members also participated in this event by performing Zapin and Joget, Malay Traditional dance. The
Project 2: OUTDOOR ECOTHERAPY
Date : 15th-16th October 2018
Vanue : KeCabin In a Village, Melaka
Theme : “What a Wonderful World”
The outdoor activities were designed special for 20 selected underprevillaged survivor who came from low income family background and have completed active treatment such as surgery, chemotherapy or taking hormonal medication. 2 hours talk on breast health care were given by Doctor Suraya, Radiography specialist, from Melaka General Hospital. Other than that, Aerobic, treasure hunt, games and photography competition were examples of the activities conducted by our team for all beloved survivors.
We also had prepared a special ladies night and the survivors were required to present their group performance under theme“SALOMA”S NIGHT”. The survivor who attended with the best dress had awarded as Queen Of The Night.
Undeniably, there are two barriers were encountered when we dealing with the community such as language and culture diversity. Much of difficulties in collecting and distributing the information come from multiracial factor and level of education background especially when we run the awareness campaign for local community.
OW MANY PEOPLE BENIFITED AND WILL BENIFITED FROM THE PROJECT?
1. Breast cancer survivors: 234
- Assistance in procuring non medical aids for the patient such as psychological support, - improved the quality of their life by helping them get back their pride and self confident. - providing a platform to educates them on related areas of woman’s health. - helps the survivor celebrating their life, including increasing their self esteem, sense of
inner beauty and worth
2. BCSS Segamat :12
- helping theme to increase individual and public awareness on cancer disease and health
related issues especially local community. 3. Students:14
- Enhance student’s creative potentials, leadership skills and self confidence. - Develop their personality and professionalism to make them more aware with their
responsibility toward the community
- This empowerment will later give an effect where more powerful impact can be made in
long term. 4. Local Community:79,000
- getting accurate information about breast cancer disease from diagnosis, treatment and
giving support to the patient and survivors.
We strongly believe, Roses For a Pink Lady will enhance the promotion of compassionate integrated society among three parties: Breast Cancer Survivors, Student and Community
How does or will your project contribute to happiness?
Despite much concerns have been raised about breast cancer campaign and its effects. literally, it shown an insufficient information has distributed to this target group. Many of the survivors have thought the cancer that they had was a sign of ‘the end of life’. This assumption derives partly from the fact that breast cancer is the most silent killer for women. Throughout the project, several important measures have been taken to rebuild the robust image of the survivors through the right guidance and explanation such as early detection can save the life and shows them the statistic of free-cancer survivor. (Short term)
Seeking happiness need a great value of positive emotions. In this sense, this project had led us to grab the opportunity to help the survivors celebrating their lives and increasing the self-esteem. Many of us could hardly imagine their feelings as breast cancer patient. Thus this programme is designated to help them avoid isolation and feel they are part of community. In long-term, we might believe that positive emotion or moral support given is crucial to embed a higher locus of control over the course of their disease as well as garner back the confident level of themselves. (Long Term)
Has the project changed the way we think?
Absolutely, the campaign profoundly changed our way of thinking regarding breast cancer disease. We realized that many assumptions are thus misleading rosy, such as societies’ s stigma that breast cancer is only happened to women. Notwithstanding, breast cancer also diagnosed in men. Lastly, The bold outcome of this project is, we don’t have to engage in grand heroic actions to make people feel good. We could actually can save someone lives through our keen support.